Schools

269 Authority record results for Schools

269 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Abbott School

  • EPSAM-0001
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-

Named after World War I veteran Abe Abbott. Abbott was the caretaker of Beverly Central School from 1922-1958. Was originally known as Beverley Elementary School, but the name was changed in May 1960. The school was constructed by Beverly School District No. 2292 and was annexed by Edmonton Public School Division No.7 in 1962. An addition was added to the school in 1974.

Aldergrove School

  • EPSAM-0002
  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

Aldergrove School was named after the residential neighborhood it was constructed in, which was named after the Alder trees in the area. An addition was added to the school in 1977.

Argyll Centre

  • EPSAM-0005
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1983;

Argyll Centre originally operated in Argyll School but moved to Terrace Heights School in 2005. Argyll Centre was created to become Edmonton Public Schools' center for home education services as well as to provide online schooling across the province of Alberta, with teachers assisting the students when necessary.

Allendale School

  • EPSAM-0006
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-

Named after the residential neighborhood it was constructed in, Allendale. Allendale was named after Irishman Thomas Allen (1847-1920), who owned the land and farmed it. They sold their land and it was annexed by the City of Strathcona in 1907, and became part of Edmonton in 1912 when Strathcona and Edmonton amalgamated.
Additions were added to the school in 1950, 1955 and 1973.

Avalon School

  • EPSAM-0007
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

Avalon School was named after the Isle of Avalon (Severn Sea). French immersion program is offered for grades 7 and 9.
The Consulting Architects of Avalon School were Wood and Gardener.
Addition built in 1968.

Athlone School

  • EPSAM-0008
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. Athlone is named after The Earl of Athlone, also known as Sir Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alred George Cambridge, Prince Alexander of Teck (1874-1957), served as governor general of Canada from 1940 to 1946. This neighbourhood also include the former Dunvegan area. Additions were added to the school in 1964 and 1972.

Alex Taylor School

  • EPSAM-0009
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-2001

Named after former Chairman of the School Board (1899-1909), Alexander Taylor (1854-1916). Taylor arrived in 1879 from Ottawa and founded the newspaper, The Edmonton Bulletin with Frank Oliver in 1881. In 1884 Taylor brought the first telephone to Edmonton, founding The Edmonton District Telephone Company. Additions were added to the school in 1927 and 1971.
The decommissioned school was leased to Edmonton City Centre Church Corporation.

amiskwaciy Academy

  • EPSAM-0010
  • Corporate body
  • 2002-

In 2002, a building near the Edmonton municipal airport was repurposed to become amiskwaciy Academy. amiskwaciy is the Cree word for "Beaver Hills."

Afton School

  • EPSAM-0011
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-2021

Afton School was named after the Afton River in Scotland. An addition was added to the school in 1972.
The Architects of Afton School were Gordon and Mangold. The Consulting Architect was W. W. Butchart.

Alex Janvier School

  • EPSAM-0012
  • Corporate body
  • 2021-

Named after renowned Indigenous artist Alex Janvier. School opened to students in fall 2021, opening ceremony June 3, 2022.

Aleda Patterson School

  • EPSAM-0013
  • Corporate body
  • 2021-

Named after Aleda Patterson, a former Edmonton Public Schools teacher who was involved in starting community agencies in Edmonton to support health, families and children. Patterson is the founder of the ABC Head Start program she discovered in Colorado and brought the concept to Edmonton in 1984.

Alberta School for the Deaf

  • EPSAM-0014
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1992; 1995-

The Alberta School for the Deaf was constructed by the Alberta Government and opened in 1955 with five wings of the school and dormitories for students. The Alberta School for the Deaf was given to and joined Edmonton Public Schools in 1995 following modernization and restoration of the building to serve d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing students from Grades 1-12.

Academy at King Edward

  • EPSAM-0015
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

Academy at King Edward was established as a site for students who meet district criteria for Learning Strategies. The School provides specialized programing to meet the learning skill needs of students. Academy at King Edward has operated out of the original 1914 King Edward School since 1992.

A. Blair McPherson School

  • EPSAM-0016
  • Corporate body
  • 2010-

The school is named after A. Blair McPherson, also known as “Grandpa Mac.” He was a family pastor, counselor and volunteer who contributed to Bisset School. McPherson helped students contribute positively to their school, and taught the importance of respecting others, being compassionate and acting honesty and truthfully.

Old Scona School

  • EPSAM-0019
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-

Old Scona School was built by Strathcona School District No. 216 and was annexed by Edmonton Public Schools in 1912. Following the openings of Strathcona High School and Bonnie Doon High School in 1958, the Old Scona building provided Junior High classes. Later, the school served as a special education school, a continuing education center for adult students and an annex of Grant MacEwan Community College. In 1976, Old Scona reopened as an academic high school.

Archives and Museum

  • EPSAM-0022
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

Located in the historic McKay Avenue School following the restoration in 1987.

Beverly Heights School

  • EPSAM-0032
  • Corporate body
  • 1954-1981

An eight-room school constructed by Beverly School District No. 2922, which amalgamated with the Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named after the residential neighbourhood, the school was constructed in, named after the nearby train station.

R. J. Scott School

  • EPSAM-0033
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-2017

Formerly belonging to the Beverly School District No. 2922. The school was amalgamated with Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named for R.J. Scott, inspector, teacher and trustee for Beverly School Division. An addition was added to the school in 1974.

Lawton School

  • EPSAM-0034
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-2017

Formerly belonging to the Beverly School District No. 2922, Lawton Junior High was amalgamated with Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named after Percy Benjamin Lawton, Beverly School District's longest serving teacher and principal. Lawton began teaching in 1927 and retired in 1957. Lawton taught Edmontonian Major William Hawrelak. Additions were added to the school in 1960 and 1967.

Beacon Heights School

  • EPSAM-0035
  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

A six-room school was constructed by Beverly School District No. 2292 in 1953 and was amalgamated with Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named after the residential neighbourhood, it was constructed. A five-classroom addition and gymnasium was added in 1960.

Beverly Central School

  • EPSAM-0036
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-1953

Named after the residential nieghbourhood it was constructed in. The school was constructed by Beverly School District No. 2292 in 1913 and was annexed to Edmonton in 1961. The name Beverly was chosen after the Canadian Pacific Railway Station that was in the area. Prior to 1953, Beverly (Central) Schools consisted of 3 buildings: a 2-room school, later referred to as the Church building; a 4-room school, brick, used until 1955; a 6-room steel school, referred to as "H" and "tin" school. After 1953, this group became known as Central or Beverly Central. Beverly Central School was demolished in 1955 and in 1959 R. J. Scott School was constructed at the same location.

Queen's Avenue School [old]

  • EPSAM-0073
  • Corporate body
  • 1902-1925

Named after its location on Queens Avenue. The decommissioned school was sold to the Canadian National Railway in 1926 and the building was demolished in 1949.

Strathcona School

  • EPSAM-0076
  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. The Strathcona neighbourhood was named after Sir Donald Alexander Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal (1820-1914). In the 1870s, Smith was a politician and railroad financier who promoted the Canadian Pacific Railway. In 1896, he was appointed High Commissioner for Canada in the United Kingdom. An addition was added to the school in 1957.

McKay Avenue School

  • EPSAM-0077
  • Corporate body
  • 1904-1983

Named after William Morrison MacKay, a surgeon for the Hudson's Bay Company and the first medical doctor in northwest Canada. In 1874, he married Jane Flett (1857-1947) who acted as his interpreter and nurse until they retired to Edmonton in 1898. The Town of Edmonton honoured MacKay by naming McKay Avenue (now 99 Avenue) after him. His name was incorrectly spelled and this error was perpetuated in the naming of the McKay Avenue School. In 1982 the school was refurbished and the Edmonton Public Schools Archives and Museum operates in the building.

Victoria School

  • EPSAM-0078
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

Formerly known as Edmonton High School and renamed to Victoria Composite High School in 1913. The school is named after Queen Victoria (1819-1901). Though the original building was demolished, Edmonton Public Schools constructed a school of the same name at the same site that is known as the Victoria School of the Arts. Additions were added to the school in 1948, 1949, 1950, 1956, 1962, 1963, renovations in 1965 and 1968 and a modernization project and addition in 2011.

Riverdale School

  • EPSAM-0079
  • Corporate body
  • 1923-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. The school was originally supposed to be a temporary building.

Eastwood School

  • EPSAM-0081
  • Corporate body
  • 1923-2010

Originally named after Board Trustee Frank Scott. The school was renamed to Eastwood in June 1925 following several petitions from the residents of Eastwood that requested the Eastwood name be used instead as the temporary school had served the area for 10 years. The two-room Eastwood temporary school was located at 80th Street and 120 Avenue.

H.A. Gray School

  • EPSAM-0082
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-1984

Opened to students in 1914. The school was named after the first Anglican Bishop in Edmonton, Henry Allen Gray. Gray later became an Edmonton Public School Board Trustee and Provincial Judge. An addition was added to the school in 1955.

McCauley School

  • EPSAM-0083
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-2010

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. An addition was made to the school in 1961.

As of 2022, the school is still owned by Edmonton Public Schools and is currently occupied by two non-profit organizations: Multicultural Health Brokers and the Intercultural Daycare, serving immigrant and refugee families.

Westmount School

  • EPSAM-0084
  • Corporate body
  • 1915-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. In 1918, Westmount served as the first Junior High School in Edmonton, additionally, Westmount School operated as a high school from 1927-1940. An addition was added to the school in 1970.

Spruce Avenue School

  • EPSAM-0085
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

Formal opening ceremony took place in March of 1929, one month after students had moved in from temporary classrooms in the area. An addition was added to the school in 1954.

Highlands School

  • EPSAM-0086
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-

Additions were made to the building in 1954 and 2021. Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. In the 1880s, this area was known as "lower settlement." In 1910 real estate developers Magrath, Holgate and Company sponsored a contest to select a name for the district. The judges awarded the prize of $50 in gold to a 19 year old law clerk, S. Loughlin, who suggested the name "The Highlands," which is descriptive of its position on the banks above the North Saskatchewan River.

Edmonton Technical School

  • EPSAM-0088
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-1923; 1923-1943

Named Edmonton Technical because the programs provided were Technical education to help prepare students for industrial careers. Edmonton Technical [old] was formerly street car barns on Syndicate Avenue (95 Street) and 109 Avenue that were repurposed in 1913 for the school. This building was able to provide ten classrooms, laboratories and workshops. During World War I it was used as an armed forces training centre. Edmonton Technical School [new] opened in the Old Market Building north of 107A Avenue on 101 Street. Edmonton Technical was a manual training centre for other high schools as well, as students from Victoria, Westmount and Eastwood could attend for half-day courses. Department of National Defense requested the use of the entire school for the War Emergency Training Plain in 1943, bringing an end to Edmonton Technical School.

Canora School

  • EPSAM-0119
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-1964

In 1948, the West Japer Place School District held a contest to name a new elementary school. The winner of the contest was a grade-eight student noted that the school was near the old Canadian Northern Rail line. By combining the first two letters of each word, the new name was created. Canora School officially opened February 4, 1949. The neighbourhood then became known by the school's name. White Hall Day Care & Out of School Care now resides in the decommissioned school.

Bennett School

  • EPSAM-0120
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-1973; 1981-

Bennett School is named after Strathcona's first mayor and early school Trustee Thomas Bennett, who opened a four room brick school on Gallagher Flats in 1913. The building re-opened in 1981 as the Bennett Environmental Education Centre. Additions were made to the school in 1981 and 2009.

Donald Ross School

  • EPSAM-0126
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-1974

Named in honor of a pioneer Edmonton resident, hosteler and early school trustee from 1883-1889. Donald Ross arrived in the Edmonton area in 1872 and owned the first hotel in Edmonton, where the first trustee election was held. The first Edmonton Public School, the 1881 Schoolhouse resided on Donald Ross's property. Following the closure of Donald Ross School, the school served as headquarters for the 1978 Commonwealth Games and for the City's 75th Anniversary Celebrations in 1979. The school was then leased to the City of Edmonton Parks and Recreation Department. As of 2018, Edmonton Public Schools Transportation department operates out of the decommissioned school.

Avonmore School

  • EPSAM-0129
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. Avonmore was named after Algernon William Yelverton. Viscount Avonmore was an Irish peer and adventurer who stopped in Edmonton in 1897. Additions were added to the building in 1957 and 1961.

As of 2022, Edmonton Public Schools Metro Continuing Education operates out of the south wing of the school.

Norwood School

  • EPSAM-0133
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. An addition was added to the school in 1971.

Ritchie School

  • EPSAM-0136
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-2008

Named after Robert Ritchie (1848-1932) who arrived in Edmonton from Ontario in the early 1890s. In 1893, Ritchie and his brothers established the Edmonton Milling Company and built the Ritchie Mill. Ritchie went on to become the mayor of the Town of Strathcona in 1901 and 1906. He was also an Alderman.

1913 section closed at an earlier date. Ritchie school was built to replace the two temporary wooden structures known as the Irvine Estate Schools. The school opened in early January 1913, but had a sinking basement that took a year to repair. Additions were added to the school in 1954, 1956 and 1975. The school was demolished in 2020.

Sherbrooke School

  • EPSAM-0143
  • Corporate body
  • 1954-1984

This is the [new] Sherbrooke School that was named after the residential neighborhood it was constructed in, which is named for the city of Sherbrooke in Quebec. Additions were added to the school in 1955 and 1963. Aurora Charter School allocated the school building in 2008 and is still in operation as of 2023.

Virginia Park School

  • EPSAM-0146
  • Corporate body
  • 1947-

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. This neighbourhood is named after the former Virginia Park Greenhouse that was established in 1912.

McQueen School

  • EPSAM-0160
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1984

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in, which was named after Reverend David George McQueen (1854-1930), a minister who came to Edmonton in 1887 to lead the Presbyterian congregation. In 1912, the landmark First Presbyterian Church was opened and Rev. McQueen became moderator of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church. The McQueen School building was purchased from Edmonton Public School Board in 2001 by the Edmonton Society for Christian Education (Edmonton Christian Schools). The School was demolished in 2021.

W. P. Wagner School

  • EPSAM-0162
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

Named after William P. Wagner (1899-1986), who was a veteran of both World Wars, an educator and superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools. Wagner began his teaching career in 1916 and left teaching during World War I to serve in the Royal Flying Corps. After the war, he was the principal of schools in the towns of Mannville, Provost and Viking. In 1929, Wagner accepted a teaching position at Strathcona High School. During the 1930s, he took university courses, while also teaching night school. In 1942, Wagner enlisted in the Canadian Army and served for four years. He returned to Edmonton the worked for the Edmonton Public School Board for the next 18 years, becoming superintendent in 1955 and retiring in 1964.

Oliver School

  • EPSAM-0163
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-

Named after Frank Oliver (1853-1933), who brought the first printing press to Edmonton and co-founded the Edmonton Bulletin in 1880. Oliver came to Edmonton in 1876 and went on to form much of the early legislations in the North West Territories. Oliver became the province of Alberta's first Member of Parliament in 1905, sat in the House of Commons from 1896 to 1917, and was Minister of the Interior and Superintendent General of Indian Affairs from 1905 to 1911. As of 2022, Oliver School is pending a name change due to the harmful legacies of Frank Oliver.

Oliver School opened March 13, 1911 as a three story school with 12 classrooms. Materials used in construction consisted of brick and stone and it was the first brick school constructed west of 109 Street. The design was inspired by Collegiate Gothic style. Portables were used to help with overcrowding and a twelve room addition was built in 1928, referred to as the West Annex. In 1957, a gymnasium was added and a Public Address system was installed. In 1995, the Nellie McClung Girls' Junior High Program began operating at Oliver School.

Parkdale School

  • EPSAM-0164
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-2010

Named after the residential neighbourhood the school was constructed in. The name has been in use since 1907. An addition was added to the school in 1957.

North Edmonton School

  • EPSAM-0165
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-2005

Named after the Village of North Edmonton. North Edmonton School began as a four room school that was constructed by North Edmonton School District No. 2305 and was annexed by Edmonton Public Schools in 1912. Additions were added to the school in 1919, 1923 and 1955.

McNally School

  • EPSAM-0166
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

Named after George Fred McNally, who had a vital role in shaping curriculum, teacher training, vocational training and establishing large school divisions. At the national level, he was a leading member of the Canadian Education Association for some 40 years, including three as President. In 1946, McNally was elected Chancellor of the University of Alberta. Among the many honors he received were honourary degrees from the University of New Brunswick and the University of Alberta. The McNally Composite High School is named after him as is the library at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. An addition was added to the school in 1967.

Rutherford School

  • EPSAM-0168
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

Constructed by Strathcona School District No. 216 in 1911 and amalgamated by Edmonton Public Schools in 1912. Named after Alexander Cameron Rutherford (1857-1941), who was the first Premier of Alberta in 1905. As Premier, he was instrumental in ensuring that the University of Alberta was built in the City of Strathcona. Rutherford became a member of the University of Alberta Senate in 1907 and was Chancellor from 1927 until his death in 1941. Additions were made to the school in 1914, 1916 and 1957.

John A. McDougall School

  • EPSAM-0169
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-

Named after John Alexander McDougall (1879-1928) who was an early Edmonton businessman who was elected mayor in 1897 and again in 1908. (town mayor 1897; city mayor 1908). McDougall also served as Member of the Legislative Assembly, University of Alberta Senate, Edmonton Public School Board Trustee from 1890-1894 and served on City Council. Formerly known as McDougall school, then transitioned to McDougall Commercial High School - home of the Edmonton Commercial Grads basketball team. Beginning in the 2000-2001 school year the school began to be referred to as John A. McDougall School.

A fire of an undetermined cause destroyed most of the school in 1929, as a result of this McDougall Commercial classes were transferred to Old Garneau School on 111 Street and 84 Avenue. McDougall Commercial High School ended operation in 1949 as the commercial program was transferred to Victoria Composite High School. Following the completion of Victoria Composite High School John A. McDougall school transitioned into an elementary school.

Results 1 to 50 of 269