Item 85.68.8 - Early History of Calder School and District

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Early History of Calder School and District

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Edmonton Public Schools

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA EPSAM 85.68.8

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 folder of textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1911-1926; 1927-)

Administrative history

Calder School is named after the residential neighborhood it was constructed in. The neighborhood was named after Hugh and Sandy Calder who purchased the land in 1912 from the McRobert family that farmed the land. The Calder neighborhood was formed around where the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway was constructed for railroad workers and their families to live. The first wooden framed Calder School was built in 1907 and was located at 120th Street and 130th Avenue. Calder School as an entity moved buildings various times in its early years. The brick Calder School was built in 1911 and was located on 121 Street and 129 Avenue. By 1924, two more buildings were added next to the existing school. In 1926, a brick building was built to house the growing population of students, located at 12950 Avenue and 118 Street. This is the current building. The 1926 building officially opened to students in 1927 with eight teachers. Additions were made to the school in 1930, 1935 and 1971.

Custodial history

Item transferred to Archives and Museum from the Superintendent of Schools on May 7, 1985.

Scope and content

Item is a history of Calder School and Calder district. Lists of teachers and photographs of staff and students are included.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Closed.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

85.68.8

Institution identifier

EPSAM

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entry created January 7, 2022 by Allison Easton.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres