Showing 485 results

Authority record

Karsh

  • EPSAM-0151
  • Person

Artist.

J. Sinclair

  • EPSAM-0152
  • Person
  • 1889-1980

John Gordon Sinclair was born in Komoka, Ontario, in 1889. After attending Normal School in London, Ontario, he taught school for several years in Ontario before moving to Edmonton, Alberta, in 1912. He had originally intended to take a job in Saskatchewan, but when that position fell through, he carried on to Edmonton. There, he found employment at the Edmond Technical School, where he taught art and design for 25 years. He was later the principal at McKay Avenue School, from which he retired in 1955. Sinclair was also known for his landscape and portrait painting.

Rose Leonard

  • EPSAM-0153
  • Person
  • 1916-2005

Rose was born on April 14, 1916, on a homestead north of St. Paul, Alberta. As an artist, she was known professionally as Rose Leonard, portraying floral arrangements, scenery and wildlife with exceptional realism in all media. For her work, she had many awards and prizes from venues across Canada. She was most pleased with two local recognitions: One was a "Performing and Creative Arts Award" from the City of Edmonton; the other was a Y.W.C.A. "Tribute to Women Award".

W.W.B

  • EPSAM-0155
  • Person
  • n.d.

Photographer.

John A. McDougall and Co.

  • EPSAM-0156
  • Corporate body
  • 1854-1928

John A. McDougall operated a general store in the Edmonton settlement starting in 1879, which specialized in buying and selling furs. In 1896, McDougall co-founded McDougall-Secord Company with Richard Secord. This business advertised itself as "general merchants, wholesale and retail; buyers and exporters of raw furs; dealers in land scrip and north west lands; outfitters for survey parties, traders, trappers, miners and others for the north, and suppliers for country stores until 1907 when they decided to sell.

McDermid Studio

  • EPSAM-0159
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-1929

When Frederick Glen McDermid opened his studio and engraving plant in downtown Edmonton on September 1st, 1912, the city, like photography itself, was growing rapidly in popularity. McDermid was one of those who arrived with the waves of new settlers, drawn by opportunity and the promise of a better future. He had been born in 1880 and lived in Petrolia, Ontario, before travelling to various cities in Canada and the United States.

His McDermid Engraving Company was located at 123 Rice Street (101A Avenue near 101st Street). One newspaper account said the premises included “an up-to-date art department, model dark room and the latest approved cameras and machinery and other apparatus for making zinc etchings and half-tones from drawings and designs for maps, etc.”

McDermid Engraving moved to 10133 101st Street in 1922, and the following year, McDermid left Edmonton for Oregon and Joseph Tyrell became the president of the company. The name of the business was changed to McDermid Studios, which endures as an Edmonton company to this day. From 1929 to 1940, the company was owned by Charles R. Morrison, one of the original shareholders and former managing editor of the Edmonton Journal. His daughter, Muriel, took over the company and her husband, Bert Hollingshead, became manager.

The studio moved to 10024 101st Street and later to 9850 112th Street. After Morrison died in 1967, Muriel’s son, David, operated the business, and then it was overseen by Charles Morrison’s great-granddaughter, Gay and her husband Mark Perry.

Most of the early McDermid photographs — those taken between 1912 and 1929 — were sold and donated to the Glenbow Archives in Calgary between 1957 and 1972. Today, the McDermid Studio fonds comprise more than 17,000 photographs in the Glenbow collection.

McQueen School

  • EPSAM-0160
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1984

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in, which was named after Reverend David George McQueen (1854-1930), a minister who came to Edmonton in 1887 to lead the Presbyterian congregation. In 1912, the landmark First Presbyterian Church was opened and Rev. McQueen became moderator of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church. The McQueen School building was purchased from Edmonton Public School Board in 2001 by the Edmonton Society for Christian Education (Edmonton Christian Schools). The School was demolished in 2021.

A.Y. Jackson

  • EPSAM-0161
  • Person
  • 1882-1974

A. Y. Jackson, CC, CMG, was a Canadian painter and a founding member of the Group of Seven. Jackson made a significant contribution to the development of art in Canada and was successful in bringing together the artists of Montreal and Toronto. He exhibited with the Group of Seven from 1920. In addition to his work with the Group of Seven, his long career included serving as a war artist during World War I (1917–19) and teaching at the Banff School of Fine Arts from 1943 to 1949. In his later years, he was artist-in-residence at the McMichael Gallery in Kleinberg, Ontario.

W. P. Wagner School

  • EPSAM-0162
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-

Named after William P. Wagner (1899-1986), who was a veteran of both World Wars, an educator and superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools. Wagner began his teaching career in 1916 and left teaching during World War I to serve in the Royal Flying Corps. After the war, he was the principal of schools in the towns of Mannville, Provost and Viking. In 1929, Wagner accepted a teaching position at Strathcona High School. During the 1930s, he took university courses, while also teaching night school. In 1942, Wagner enlisted in the Canadian Army and served for four years. He returned to Edmonton then worked for the Edmonton Public School Board for the next 18 years, becoming superintendent in 1955 and retiring in 1964.

Wîhkwêntôwin School

  • EPSAM-0163
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-

Named after Frank Oliver (1853-1933), who brought the first printing press to Edmonton and co-founded the Edmonton Bulletin in 1880. Oliver came to Edmonton in 1876 and went on to form much of the early legislations in the North West Territories. Oliver became the province of Alberta's first Member of Parliament in 1905, sat in the House of Commons from 1896 to 1917, and was Minister of the Interior and Superintendent General of Indian Affairs from 1905 to 1911.

Oliver School opened March 13, 1911 as a three story school with 12 classrooms. Materials used in construction consisted of brick and stone and it was the first brick school constructed west of 109 Street. The design was inspired by Collegiate Gothic style. Portables were used to help with overcrowding and a twelve room addition was built in 1928, referred to as the West Annex. In 1957, a gymnasium was added and a Public Address system was installed. In 1995, the Nellie McClung Girls' Junior High Program began operating at Oliver School.

On 9 April 2024, Edmonton Public Schools release the statement, "Edmonton Public Schools is proud to announce the newly renamed wîhkwêntôwin School. The Board made the decision to change the name of Oliver School in 2020, and is excited for the school to share the same name as the community it calls home.

wîhkwêntôwin is a Cree word that can be translated into English as circle of friends. wîhkwêntôwin is pronounced we-kwen-to-win.

The central neighbourhood, where the school is located, was recently renamed wîhkwêntôwin by the City of Edmonton, following a renaming process led by the community league. Students, staff and families of the school were engaged in a meaningful and thorough way during community consultation conducted by the community league, and feel wîhkwêntôwin reflects the values of the school community.

The Board decided to adopt the same name as the community, and the school’s new name was announced on April 9, 2024 at a public Board meeting."

Parkdale School

  • EPSAM-0164
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-2010

Named after the residential neighbourhood the school was constructed in. The name has been in use since 1907. An addition was added to the school in 1957.

North Edmonton School

  • EPSAM-0165
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-2005

Named after the Village of North Edmonton. North Edmonton School began as a four room school that was constructed by North Edmonton School District No. 2305 and was annexed by Edmonton Public Schools in 1912. Additions were added to the school in 1919, 1923 and 1955.

McNally School

  • EPSAM-0166
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

Named after George Fred McNally, who had a vital role in shaping curriculum, teacher training, vocational training and establishing large school divisions. At the national level, he was a leading member of the Canadian Education Association for some 40 years, including three as President. In 1946, McNally was elected Chancellor of the University of Alberta. Among the many honors he received were honourary degrees from the University of New Brunswick and the University of Alberta. The McNally Composite High School is named after him as is the library at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. An addition was added to the school in 1967.

Rutherford School

  • EPSAM-0168
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

Constructed by Strathcona School District No. 216 in 1911 and amalgamated by Edmonton Public Schools in 1912. Named after Alexander Cameron Rutherford (1857-1941), who was the first Premier of Alberta in 1905. As Premier, he was instrumental in ensuring that the University of Alberta was built in the City of Strathcona. Rutherford became a member of the University of Alberta Senate in 1907 and was Chancellor from 1927 until his death in 1941. Additions were made to the school in 1914, 1916 and 1957.

John A. McDougall School

  • EPSAM-0169
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-

Named after John Alexander McDougall (1879-1928) who was an early Edmonton businessman who was elected mayor in 1897 and again in 1908. (town mayor 1897; city mayor 1908). McDougall also served as Member of the Legislative Assembly, University of Alberta Senate, Edmonton Public School Board Trustee from 1890-1894 and served on City Council. Formerly known as McDougall school, then transitioned to McDougall Commercial High School - home of the Edmonton Commercial Grads basketball team. Beginning in the 2000-2001 school year the school began to be referred to as John A. McDougall School.

A fire of an undetermined cause destroyed most of the school in 1929, as a result of this McDougall Commercial classes were transferred to Old Garneau School on 111 Street and 84 Avenue. McDougall Commercial High School ended operation in 1949 as the commercial program was transferred to Victoria Composite High School. Following the completion of Victoria Composite High School John A. McDougall school transitioned into an elementary school.

Delton School

  • EPSAM-0170
  • Corporate body
  • 1947-

Additions to the school were added in 1950, 1955 and 1963. A temporary Delton School was in operation in 1912, located at 82 Street and 118 Avenue.
Named after the residential district that it was constructed in, Delton was named after Edward Delegare “Del” Grierson. Grierson came to Edmonton in the 1890s while working on the Canadian Pacific railway and went on to acquire property along Jasper Avenue, including the old Alberta Hotel (no longer in existence). In the early 1900s Grierson served a number of terms on Edmonton’s City Council.

Central School

  • EPSAM-0178
  • Corporate body
  • 1960-1973

Constructed by West Jasper Place School District No. 4679. The Central School building was leased to Grant MacEwan University in 1973.

M. E. LaZerte School

  • EPSAM-0179
  • Corporate body
  • 1969-

Named after Dr. Milton Ezra LaZerte, who was Chairman of the Edmonton Public School Board, a Trustee, Alderman, and Dean of the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta.

The Architects of M. E. LaZerte School were Rule, Wynn, Forbes, Lord and Partners.

1881 Schoolhouse

  • EPSAM-0180
  • Corporate body
  • 1881-

Originally called Edmonton School as it was the first school in the Edmonton settlement. Operated as a school until 1905. Used as a single family residence until it was restored into the 1881 School House in 1982 to be used for school programs along with the McKay Avenue School.

Bonnie Doon School

  • EPSAM-0185
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-1999

Named after the residential neighbourhood it was constructed in. Bonnie Doon is Scottish for "pleasant rolling countryside." An addition was added to the school in 1970. Bonnie Doon School was renamed and re-opened for the 1999-2000 school year as Vimy Ridge Academy, see Vimy Ridge Academy.

Harry Ainlay School

  • EPSAM-0187
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-

Harry Ainlay was born in Brussels, Ontario in 1887. After earning a teacher’s certificate, he came to Edmonton in 1912. Ainlay returned to teaching in 1920, working at Queen Alexandra High School, Garneau High School and Strathcona High School. Ainlay was first elected as an Alderman in 1931 for a two year term and was re-elected in 1933, but lost in the 1935 election. He ran for mayor in 1935, 1936, and 1937, but was defeated each time. He returned to municipal politics and won a seat as an Alderman in 1941 and again in 1943. Halfway through his term as Alderman, he stepped down and ran for Mayor in the 1945 election. He won and served as Mayor until 1949. An addition was added to the school in 1968.

J. Percy Page School

  • EPSAM-0188
  • Corporate body
  • 1983-

Named after John Percy Page the coach of the legendary Edmonton Commercial Grads basketball team, principal of McDougall Commercial High School from 1920-1949 and teacher for Edmonton Public Schools for 40 years. Page was also a Member of Legislative Assembly and Edmonton Public School Board trustee. In 1955 Page was elected to the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame. In 1959 Page was appointed to Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta and served as the Queen's representative until 1962.

Jasper Place School

  • EPSAM-0190
  • Corporate body
  • 1961-

Constructed by West Jasper Place School District No. 4679 and named after the Town of Jasper Place. Annexed by Edmonton Public Schools in 1964. Additions were added to the school in 1963 and 1969.

Alberta Teachers' Association

  • EPSAM-0193
  • Corporate body
  • 1917-

In 1917, the Alberta Teachers’ Alliance (the Alliance) was created in response to teachers leaving the profession in droves for better salaries and working conditions. Its inaugural annual meeting was held in Edmonton during Easter week of 1918. The ATA is proud to continue to advocate for public education and the teaching profession by serving its members through professional development opportunities, collective bargaining, professional help and advice, and educational research

Great Western Garment Company

  • EPSAM-0195
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-2004

Established January 30, 1911 in Edmonton AB. The plant closed in March 2004.

Ross Sheppard School

  • EPSAM-0196
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-

Named after Ross Sheppard who was Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools from 1940 to 1955. Sheppard retired from Edmonton Public Schools in 1955. Additions were added to the school in 1958, 1962, 1967 and 2019.

Glenora School

  • EPSAM-0197
  • Corporate body
  • 1940-

A theory of name origin is that Glenora originated from the Scottish word “glen”, meaning valley, and the French “or”, meaning gold, because Glenora contains three ravines which lead to the North Saskatchewan River, where it is still possible to pan for gold. In March 1931, Superintendent McKee recommended a new school be built on property owned by the Board between 102 and 103 Avenues and 135 and 136 Streets. The School was to accommodate 279 students in grades 1-6, with grades 7 & 8 going to Oliver or Westmount. McKee recommended that the exterior match the neighbourhoods architecture. Present Glenora Elementary School was officially opened November 14, 1940 by Mr. A. E. Ottewell, Chairman of the Edmonton Public School Board.

Glenora School [old]

  • EPSAM-0198
  • Corporate body
  • 1918-1958

The temporary first Glenora School was built in 1918, located at 128 Street and Stony Plain Road. It was moved from its original site when the new Westmount School was built. The building still stands today, a wood frame structure housing a a Baptist Church. Following the opening of the New Glenora School, the Old Glenora School was converted into a multi-family residence. In 1948, Edmonton Public Schools opened the Old Glenora School once again for grades 1 and 2.

Princess Anne School

  • EPSAM-0199
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1969

Named after Princess Anne. The Princess Royal was born on 15 August 1950 in London. She is the only daughter and second child of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. She was known as Princess Anne until she was given the title of The Princess Royal by The Queen in June 1987.

Her Royal Highness is involved with over 300 charities, organisations and military regiments in the UK and overseas, and she devotes a large part of her working life to official engagements and visits. The Princess has been closely involved with the creation of several charities, notably The Princess Royal's Trust for Carers (now Carers Trust), Transaid and Riders for Health. The Carers’ Trust provides support for the millions of individuals in the UK who are responsible for caring for someone. Transaid and Riders for Health both try to overcome some of the difficulties caused by poor transportation links in developing countries.

Lynnwood School

  • EPSAM-0200
  • Corporate body
  • 1959-

Named after the residential district it was constructed in. Name origins refer to a "lynn" or "linn" of a linden or lime tree. Constructed by West Jasper Place School District No. 4679 and annexed by Edmonton Public Schools in 1964.

Results 151 to 200 of 485