Showing 350 results

Authority record

Abbott School

  • EPSAM-0001
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-

Named after World War I veteran Abe Abbott. Abbott, who was the caretaker of Beverly Central School from 1922-1958.
Annexed in 1962.
Addition built in 1973?.

Aldergrove School

  • EPSAM-0002
  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

Aldergrove School was named after the residential neighborhood it was constructed in.

Argyll Centre

  • EPSAM-0005
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1983

Reopened in 19?? as Distance Education Centre.
Addition built in 1960.
Argyll Centre had been created to amalgamate the learning that had taken place about online 24/7 learning as well as to become Edmonton Public Schools' center for home education services. Argyll's online learning options began serving students across the province of Alberta, with teachers acting as learning facilitators available to students as and when the students required help.

Allendale School

  • EPSAM-0006
  • Corporate body
  • 1949-

Allendale School was named after the Allen Farm in South Edmonton on which it is located.
Additions built in 1950, 1955, 1973.

Avalon School

  • EPSAM-0007
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

Avalon School was named after the Isle of Avalon (Severn Sea). French immersion program is offered for grades 7 and 9.
The Consulting Architects of Avalon School were Wood and Gardener.
Addition built in 1968.

Athlone School

  • EPSAM-0008
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

Athlone School was named after the Earl of Athlone, Governor General of Canada.
Additions built in 1964 and 1972.

Alex Taylor School

  • EPSAM-0009
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-2001

Alex Taylor School was named after the Chairman of the School Board, 1898-1909 and early telegrapher, Alex Taylor.
Additions built in 1927 and 1971.
Building leased to Edmonton City Centre Church Corporation.

amiskwaciy Academy

  • EPSAM-0010
  • Corporate body
  • 2002 -

In 2002, a building near the Edmonton municipal airport was repurposed to become amiskwaciy Academy. amiskwaciy is the Cree word for "Beaver Hills."

Afton School

  • EPSAM-0011
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-2021

Afton School was named after the Afton River in Scotland. The Architects of Afton School were Gordon and Mangold. The Consulting Architect was W. W. Butchart.
Addition built in 1972.

Alex Janvier School

  • EPSAM-0012
  • Corporate body
  • 2021-

Named after renowned Indigenous artist Alex Janvier. School opened to students in fall 2021, opening ceremony June 3, 2022.

Aleda Patterson School

  • EPSAM-0013
  • Corporate body
  • 2021-

Aleda Patterson School is named after Aleda Patterson, a former Edmonton Public Schools teacher who was involved in starting community agencies in Edmonton to support health, families and children.

Alberta School for the Deaf

  • EPSAM-0014
  • Corporate body
  • amalgamated 1995-96

Alberta School for the Deaf serves d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing students from Grades 1 through 12.

Academy at King Edward School

  • EPSAM-0015
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-

Academy at King Edward was established as a site for students who meet district criteria for Learning Strategies. The School provides specialized programing to meet the learning skill needs of students.

A. Blair McPherson School

  • EPSAM-0016
  • Corporate body
  • 2010-

On May 21, 2009, the ground-breaking ceremony was held for A. Blair McPherson school, named after A. Blair McPherson, also known as “Grandpa Mac.” He was a family pastor, counselor and volunteer who contributed to Bisset School. He helped students contribute positively to their school, and taught the importance of respecting others, being compassionate and acting honesty and truthfully.

Strathcona School District No. 216

  • EPSAM-0018
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-1912

The South Edmonton School District No. 216 was formed in 1892 to serve residents in the Strathcona District south of Edmonton. The district name was changed in 1899 to Strathcona School District No. 216. The District amalgamated with Edmonton School District No. 7 in 1912.

Old Scona School

  • EPSAM-0019
  • Corporate body
  • 1908-

Old Scona School was built by Strathcona School District No. 216.

North Edmonton School District No. 2305

  • EPSAM-0020
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1913

The North Edmonton School District No. 2305 was established in November 1910. The district amalgamated with the Edmonton School District No. 7 in 1912.

Edmonton Teachers' Wives' Association

  • EPSAM-0025
  • Corporate body
  • 1954-1984

The Edmonton Teachers’ Wives’ Association was formed in March 1954 and dissolved in 1984. The purpose of the club was to develop a friendly spirit among teachers’ wives, especially those new to the city. Membership was open to wives of teachers and supervisors employed by the Edmonton Public and Edmonton Separate School Boards, wives of retired teachers and retired supervisors, and widows of teachers and supervisors. Meetings were held monthly, October through May inclusively, in the form of a supper meeting. Additional social events took place throughout the year. The administrative body of the Edmonton Teachers’ Wives’ Association consisted of an Executive Committee made up of: President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, Social Convener, Program Convener, Publicity Convener, and Nominative Convener. A Constitution which expressed the purpose of the organization and detailed the duties of the executive was created in 1954 and amended annually. By 1983 membership in the organization had dwindled and the organization was disbanded the following year.

James McCaig

  • EPSAM-0026
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1906-1913

James McCaig is the first Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools. McCaig served from July 20, 1906 to October 31, 1913. Ten permanent schools were built during the seven years that he served and five more were nearing completion at the time of his resignation. Superintendent McCaig was a progressive thinker in terms of educational philosophy. He stated that “The ultimate end of school work is character building”. He proposed expanded household science, music, and physical education classes in the belief that a richer curriculum would help keep pupils in school.

W. Richardson

  • EPSAM-0027
  • Person
  • acting Superintendent Nov-Dec 1913

W. Carpenter

  • EPSAM-0028
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1914-1923

William G. Carpenter is the second Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools. Carpenter served in this role from 1914 - 1923. At the time of his appointment, Carpenter was principal of Victoria High School. One of his first tasks as superintendent was to introduce a night school program for new Canadians. Throughout the First World War, Carpenter kept in close personal contact with most of the staff members who were serving in the military overseas.

Unlike his predecessor, James McCaig who used a horse-drawn rig for transport, Superintendent Carpenter used his automobile, which he purchased in 1919, when making school visits. In 1921, he applied to the Board to cover the cost of new tires, explaining that he had already spent $143.10 on tire repairs and that he used the car almost entirely for work. His request was denied; however his travel allowance was increased to $35/month.

Mr. Carpenter left his position as Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools to become principal of the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art in Calgary. He later became Alberta’s Provincial Director of Technical Education.

George McKee

  • EPSAM-0029
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1924-1940

George McKee is the third Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools. McKee was appointed in 1924. He remained in this capacity for 17 years until his retirement in 1940. Periods of stability, depression and financial cutbacks were experienced during his tenure.

In his first year as Superintendent, McKee participated in opening ceremonies for three new schools: Garneau, Riverdale and Frank Scott (later renamed Eastwood). McKee was well liked by the teachers and remarkably few teachers resigned or left the Division during his time as Superintendent.

Ross Sheppard

  • EPSAM-0030
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1940-1955

Ross Sheppard is the fourth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools. During the Sheppard years, the number of permanent schools increased from 30 to 63, student enrolment increased by almost 1,000 students per year, and permanent staff doubled. Teachers' salaries almost doubled from an average annual salary of $2088 in 1940 to $3896 in 1955. Per pupil costs of education increased from $89.19 to $238.25 during the same period.

Ross Sheppard is remembered as a man who tried to maintain close contact with the staff, even to the point of handing out cheques to all the teachers on the last day of June. Sheppard graciously thanked each teacher for his or her efforts during the year and took pride in calling each teacher by name, seldom making a mistake in doing so.

Ross Sheppard High School, built in 1957, was named in Sheppard's honour.

Beverly Heights School

  • EPSAM-0032
  • Corporate body
  • 1954-1981

Formerly belonging to the Beverly School District No. 2922, which amalgamated with the Edmonton School Division in 1961.

R. J. Scott School

  • EPSAM-0033
  • Corporate body
  • 1958-2016

Formerly belonging to the Beverly School District No. 2922, R.J. Scott was amalgamated with Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named for R.J. Scott, inspector, teacher and trustee for Beverly School Division.

Lawton School

  • EPSAM-0034
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-2017.

Formerly belonging to the Beverly School District No. 2922, Lawton Junior High was amalgamated with Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named after Percy Benjamin Lawton, Beverly School District's longest serving teacher and principal. Lawton began teaching in 1927 and returned in 1957. Lawton taught Edmonton Major William Hawrelak.

Beacon Heights School

  • EPSAM-0035
  • Corporate body
  • 1952-

Formerly belonging to the Beverly School District No. 2922, Beacon Heights Beverly Heights was amalgamated with Edmonton School Division in 1961. Named after the residential neighborhood it was constructed in.

Beverly Central School

  • EPSAM-0036
  • Corporate body
  • 1910-1953

Prior to 1953, Beverly (Central) Schools consisted of 3 buildings: a 2-room school, later referred to as the Church building; a 4-room school, brick, used until 1955; a 6-room steel school, referred to as "H" and "tin" school. After 1953, this group became known as Central or Beverly Central.

William Wagner

  • EPSAM-0038
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1955-1964

William P. Wagner is the fifth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Peter Bargen

  • EPSAM-0039
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1964-1967

Dr. Peter F. Bargen is the sixth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Tom Baker

  • EPSAM-0040
  • Person
  • acting Superintendent Jul 1967-Jun 1968

Roland Jones

  • EPSAM-0041
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1968-1972

Dr. Roland W. Jones is the seventh Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Michael Strembitsky

  • EPSAM-0042
  • Person
  • acting Superintendent Aug-Dec 1972; Superintendent 1973-1994; Secretary-Treasurer 1974-1979

Michael A. Strembitsky is the eighth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Angus McBeath

  • EPSAM-0043
  • Person
  • acting Superintendent May-Dec 1994; Superintendent 2001-2005

Angus McBeath is the tenth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Emery Dosdall

  • EPSAM-0044
  • Person
  • Superintendent 1995-2001

Emery Dosdall is the ninth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Edgar Schmidt

  • EPSAM-0045
  • Person
  • acting Superintendent Nov 2005-Aug 2006; Superintendent May 2007-Aug 2013.

Edgar Schmidt is the twelfth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Bob Holt

  • EPSAM-0046
  • Person
  • acting Superintendent Jan 2007-Apr 2007

Lyall Thomson

  • EPSAM-0047
  • Person
  • Superintendent 2006-2007

Lyall Thomson is the eleventh Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

Darrel Robertson

  • EPSAM-0048
  • Person
  • Superintendent 2013-

Darrel Robertson is the thirteenth Superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools.

West Jasper Place School District No. 4679

  • EPSAM-0049
  • Corporate body
  • 1935-1964

West Jasper Place School District No. 4679 was established in 1935. It amalgamated with Edmonton School District No. 7 in August 1964.

Abbie Scott

  • EPSAM-0050
  • Person
  • involved with the Edmonton Grads 1923-1973

Abbie Scott was a member of the Edmonton Grad basketball team of 1923-1924, which won the world basketball championships held in Edmonton in 1923. The team traveled to Europe in 1924. The team disbanded in 1940. Scott was a member of the Edmonton Grads Club, an alumni association, and took part in the ceremony inducting the team into Edmonton Hall of Fame in 1973.

Results 1 to 50 of 350